Gwinnett County was created on December 15, 1818, and named for Button Gwinnett, one of the three Georgia signers of the Declaration of Independence. The county was formed from the combination of land that was ceded to the state of Georgia by the Cherokee and Creek Indians and a portion of Jackson County. Gwinnett was the 50th county to be organized in the state. The county currently covers 437 square miles and includes approximately 280,000 acres of land. This makes Gwinnett the 50th largest county in the state in landmass. Gwinnett has many advantages, beginning with its location and road system. The county is just 45 minutes from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and 30 minutes from downtown Atlanta. Georgia Highway 316 has been extended to Athens, reducing travel time to the University of Georgia to 25 minutes. Gwinnett's infrastructure includes more than 2,750 miles of roadways to provide excellent mobility for our citizens. There were 324,703 jobs in Gwinnett County in the second quarter of 2014 according to the Georgia Department of Labor, and the unemployment rate in November 2014 was 5.7 percent.